- Stand upright, with your hands at your hips.
- Take a large step backward with your left foot.
- Lower your hips so that your right thigh (front leg) becomes parallel to the floor with your right knee positioned directly over your ankle. Your left knee should be bent at a 90-degree angle and pointing toward the floor with your left heel lifted.
- Return to standing by pressing your right heel into the floor and bringing your left leg forward to complete one rep.
- Alternate legs, and step back with right leg.
KETTLE BELL SWING
- Start with the kettlebell on the floor slightly in front of you and between your feet, which should be shoulder-width apart.
- Bending slightly at the knees but hingeing mainly at the hips, grasp the kettlebell and pull it back between your legs to create momentum.
- Drive your hips forwards and straighten your back to send the kettlebell up to shoulder height.
Set-Up: Begin in a half kneeling posture by placing one knee down directly under the hip and the other foot should be in line with the knee, this will create the 90/90 position. Depending on the individual, the width of the front foot can be adjusted for balance. The narrower the foot is in relation to the knee, the greater the challenge. The front foot should feel as light as possible, enough to be able to pick it up and put it down. Throughout the exercises concentrate on staying as tall as possible creating a straight line from the ear, shoulder, hip, and down knee for proper posture alignment.
Action: Sniff air into the abdomen and immediately press the dumbbell overhead with an active exhale extending the elbow until the arm is straight but not locked.
Return: Sniff air in again and pull down with the lat as the elbow flexes and lower the weight to the racked position. If at any time posture and quality in the movement is compromised, reset and begin the movement again.
Repeat for the desired repetitions on the other side.
This movement incorporates aerobic training and strength training into one sequence, working your cardiovascular system, legs and upper body.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, arms by your sides.
- Bend your knees and reach forward to place your hands on the floor.
- Kick your legs back into a plank position.
- Immediately jump your legs forward back to start and stand back up.